Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Casablanca and Fes

So Morocco has officially made it to the top of my list of the most corrupt countries I've visited....

It's not because of the way the locals try to extract money out of you at every turn, or because everyone who speaks to me tries to sell me hash. It's not even because of the fact that since I've been in the country I've had my shoes and towel stolen! No, the thing that tipped the balance was that I came very close to having all my stuff stolen by a baggage attendant who I paid to put my bag on the bus!

As I got on the bus and it started to pull away I just happened to look out the window to see the guy wandering off with my backpack!! After running down the bus and paying the bus driver to wait, I ran out and snatched it off him then turned round to get back on the bus. All I could see was the other baggage people coming towards me.... Luckily a policeman had also made his way over. After slipping him some cash I was allowed to get on the bus and left the baggage handler to explain himself.

I arrived in Casablanca 6 hrs later. I had never planned to visit Casa but I had to spend a night there to connect with the train to Fes. Because of this I didn't have high expectations but I was still disappointed... There was not really anything to see except a huge mosque (which was fairly impressive) that I couldn't go in anyway!

The next morning I took an early train to Fes, which has the biggest Medina area in the world. The city is HUGE and is surrounded by the Rif mountains on all sides. The winding streets contain hundreds of stalls selling all types of arts and crafts (according to all the shop owners Fes is the world capital of 'handicrafts') and is even more hectic than Marrakesh!!

The next two days were spent wandering through the winding streets, visiting the tanneries, learning how rugs are made and attempting to make a bongo drum! I also trekked up the hill to some old ruined tombs to take in some beautiful views of the city....next stop is Chefchaouen for some mountain walking :)






Casablanca in all its glory...this was a nice part!



At least there was a nice sunset



The Mosque at Casablanca



Some intricate carvings at an old Koranic school in Fes



The dye pits at the tanneries



The walls of the Medina at Fes



Fes + me!



A beautiful view across the Rif



A HUGE cemetry in Fes







The doors to the royal palace at Fes



One of many crazy souks

No comments: