Saturday, April 21, 2007

Atherton Tablelands

The next day I needed to drive from Cairns to Mission Beach. On the way up I went along the coast, so I decided to drive the inland loop, through the area known as the Atherton Tablelands. This area is a collection of national parks, mountains, fast-flowing rivers and waterfalls. After about an hour of winding driving I found myself over 600 meters above sea level, looking over a gigantic valley at the biggest mountains in Queensland. Further along the loop there seemed to be waterfalls everywhere, there was even a 'waterfall circuit'! Spent the night in Tully, ready to hit the Mission Beach area the next day.

Oh and I saw a load of little turtles near one of the waterfalls. Took another video which you can see here!



Walsh's Pyramid (922m)



A rocky river



Mt. Bellenden Ker (1593m, second highest mountain in QLD)



A good view of the mountain-ish section of the Tablelands



Lake Barrine



One of the twin 'Giant Kauri Pines' at lake Barrine. This one has a diameter of over 4 meters and is over 1000 years old!



Malanda Falls



Mt Bartle Frere (1622m, the highest mountain in QLD)



The view from some lookout (the name of which I have forgotten)



Millaa Millaa Falls



Just about to dive in and cool off!



Zillie Falls (you wouldnt wanna swim at this one!)



On the way to the next waterfall I saw a white peacock....I didn't even know you could get white ones!



Ellinjaa Falls



The view from Crawford's Lookout

No comments: