Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Cairns

Cairns - the last big city on my route up the coast, most people finish/begin their journey up/down the coast here, although I will go north a little more before the trip back down. Cairns is also proper tropical climate! I actually thought that I had hit tropical QLD around Noosa, but I was definitely wrong. As I drove over a mountain range between Townsville and Cairns the fog started, and the 15 minute drenchings were almost as impressive as the amount of water that evaporated in the following 15 minutes, starting the cycle again.... The drive there was through a load of lush, green mountains/hills that seemed to constantly have rain over them, never seen anything like it!

The city of Cairns is basically one big tourist office! Cairns doesn't really have that much to offer but is situated right between places to jungle walk, dive, hike, skydive, white-water raft, sail amongst others! This makes it a mecca for travellers/holiday makers and its quite a lively place. Mainly spent the last couple of days chilling out with Markus and Filip (the Swedes), looking around the town and drinking (of course!). We went to the night markets, which were good, the best part was a glass blower who made the pieces as you watched. Its rained every day but never for long. I actually like the rain because it cools the air down and reminds me of home!

Today I went around the botanic gardens, it was quite early so there wasn't really anyone around. I kept seeing these yellow and red signs but didn't bother to read them until there was one next to a map I was looking at....it read 'DANGER - Crocodiles have been seen in this area. Crocodile attacks can be fatal'....fabulous! Anyway, the gardens were beautiful and you can tell I didn't get eaten cos im writing this post.

I'll leave today to travel north to a place called Port Douglas. I have it on very good authority that the Great Barrier Reef off Port Douglas is 10 times better than that off Cairns so that's where I'll dive. Then I'll go on safari in the jungle at Cape Tribulation and the Daintree Forest, including 'jungle surfing', which sounds interesting! Should be great fun, cyall in a few days!



Freshwater Lake in the botanic gardens



Tropical-ish trees by another lake



This river apparently has lots of crocs in it!

No comments: